Termites Control Singapore
- Termites size range from 4mm to 15mm.
- Generally the workers are whitish whilst soldiers tend to have reddish heads depending on the species.
- Most termite species are blind.
- Termites, unlike most insects go through a developmental process known as incomplete metamorphosis.
- Alates (winged termites) are monogamous and only leave the colony during nuptial flight during which they look for a suitable mate and a suitable colony, whereupon they close off the nest and proceed to mate.
- In the initial days of nesting, the queen would be able to produce about 10-20 eggs a day.
- Eventually a mature queen can product up to 40,000 eggs a day.
- Termite queens have one of the longest lifespan among any insects, living for about 30-50 years.
- Termites have a defined caste system, with the workers performing most of the foraging for food and feeding the rest of the nest via trophollaxis.
- Soldiers have a much larger head with enlarged mandibles to defend the nest, therefore they are unable to feed themselves which is why they have to be fed by the workers.
- The king and queen of the colony are responsible for the reproduction and the growth of the colony.
- Termites feed on cellulose which is mainly wood products, which is why they are such a prominent pest in any developed/developing society.
- They are often found in homes eating into fixed fixtures like cupboards, staircases.