- Termites size range from 4mm to 15mm.
- Most termite species are blind.
- Termites, unlike most insects go through a developmental process known as incomplete metamorphosis.
- A mature queen can product up to 40,000 eggs a day.
- Termite queens have one of the longest lifespans among any insects, living for about 30-50 years.
- Termites have a defined caste system, with the workers performing most of the foraging for food and feeding the rest of the nest.
- Soldiers have a much larger head with enlarged mandibles to defend the nest, therefore they are unable to feed themselves which is why they have to be fed by the workers.
- The king and queen of the colony are responsible for the reproduction and the growth of the colony.
- Termites feed on cellulose from mainly wood products. They are often found in homes eating into wooden fixtures like cupboards, staircases.
- Signs of an infestation can be identified by mud trails on the walls.